The Heritage Centre will be closed over the festive period (23/12/17 to 5/01/18 inc.)
We will be closed on Saturday 23rd December 2017, opening again for visitors on Saturday 6th January 2018.
Whilst there are over 25 pages on this website there is in fact a lot more to read and see through interactive presentations including photographs, audio and video. Through the presentations you will be able to read:
- Major Burke’s 1914-1916 diary showing the day to day running of one of the first Squadrons.
- His famous Maxims from 1911 giving advice to military aviators.
- Lt. Desmond Arthur’s 1913 diary and learn about the man and his tragic death.
- The RAF Flight Training Manual, Part 1, published in 1931.
- You can see the Red Lichtie arriving at the Heritage Centre and being assembled.
- Learn about No.2 Squadron’s epic flight north in February 1913 & why Montrose was chosen.
- See how volunteers built a WWI B.E.2a aircraft from original drawings.
- See a 360 degree view from our B.E.2a.
“The work here is hugely important in so many ways. It’s important to Scotland, it’s important to our sense of British history and it is certainly extremely important to the Royal Air Force today, so I know all my Air Force colleagues will join me in saying how indebted we are with that endeavour.”Air Marshal Sir David Walker KCVO, OBE, DL.