- Winter Closure -
The museum is now closed for the winter season
and will reopen on Saturday 3rd February 2024
Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre
located in Angus on the east coast of Scotland.
Montrose Air Station has an amazing history to tell, becoming the first operational military air station in Great Britain when it was established in February 1913. There is something for everyone regardless of age. We are not just another aviation museum, we also aim to tell the stories of the brave men and women who served and worked here from 1913 until 1952 when it finally closed.
1913 was just ten years after the first powered flight made by the Wright Brothers in America and aircraft were a rare and fascinating sight. Pilots were as famous as film stars and crowds gathered wherever they landed.
Come and see our full-size replica B.E.2a aircraft flown by No.2 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps when they were the first to land in France at the start of World War One in 1914. Compare that fragile aircraft with our Panavia Tornado GR4, a powerful jet aircraft flown by the RAF from 1980 until 2019.
You only have to read our reviews on TripAdvisor to be assured that you will receive a warm and friendly welcome. The Heritage Centre has been awarded a TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022. It has been consistently shown as the No.1 visitor attraction in Montrose and highly rated in Angus.
Children are especially welcome and will find lots to see and experience. Education and heritage are very important to us and unlike many visitor attractions, we will never charge admission for children (under 16).
Latest Items and News
- TRIPADVISOR - we have received a Travellers Choice Award for 2023
- OUT NOW - The November - December issue of our newsletter 'Airspeed' - Click here
- ITS ARRIVED - To find out more about our Tornado GR4 - Click here
- MAY - Another New Arrival - Jet Provost Cockpit - Click here
- APRIL - New Arrival - Rolls-Royce Spey jet engine - Click here
- MARCH - Museum receives Rotary Club 'Certificate of Appreciation for Volunteers - Click here
- FEBRUARY - The II(AC) Sqn Centenary 'Fin' has arrived - Click here
- Vic The War Horse of Montrose - New display unveiled - Click here to find out more
- Major Upgrade - Access between buildings improved for visitors with a new tarmac surface
Here at Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre we are extremely proud to be a part of the Scottish Aviation and STEM trail.
With our historically vital heritage that takes us back to 1913, we are delighted to be a site of major historical importance and would like to encourage all our friends and supporters to have a look at the new Scottish Aviation and STEM trail website at: www.scottishaviation.org.uk
To read the press release please click here.